Sonic Pi not working on Linux Mint 19

Hi! I’m loving the idea of SonicPi and all its possibilities, but unfortunately I’m not being able to run SP on my Linux Mint 19.3, I have tried to install it through the terminal, software manager, wine and pretty much everything that I have crossed in internet, but it won’t work.

So please, if anyone has had the same problem and knows how to fix it it would be really helpful, I can’t wait to start spinning!

Thanks!

Hi @kaspaman23,

you will have to compile it. This thread started by Robin contains all the info, though unfortunately this is only partly a step-by-step recipe … but I am quite confident that in case of (concrete) problems someone here will be able and willing to help …

Hi Martin! I will check it right away!

Thank you!

Does it not open at all ?
Or no sound ?
I have installed it on other Debian distros with no problem .
‘’’
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt install sonic-pi

As mint 19.3 is based on ubuntu 18.04.

I’ve also tried to run on Mint 19.3. I literally had to compile CMake, Erlang and possibly other things. For instance the libffii7 keeps coming up as not found along with some other things. It became so many rabbit holes that I gave up and use Ubuntu 20.04 with little problems (I still need to compile from source code obviously to get the newest version of SP). It seems to me that Mint is a bit behind on having appropriate libraries in the repos.

Instead I use Ubutnu 20 with the Cinnamon desktop. I feel like Mint probably is a bit lighter, cleaner and less bloated, but the dependencies are all there in Ubuntu to compile Sonic Pi. I know @Martin above has it running on Mint (which was what inspired me). But even after several fresh install attempts I was never able to get it to work. I may try again at some point but have a pretty good build with Ubuntu right now so I’ll stick with that I think for the time being.

With Linux I would be tempted to find a ’ live ’
distro that will run ( or perhaps even come with
( already installed ) ) Sonic Pi … Out of the box .
May not get the latest version , but still a very
usable one .

What about using @robin.newman package ? Sonic Pi 3.2.2 deb file for Ubuntu 20.04

hi everybody,

I use ubuntu studio the latest version based on ubuntu 20.04 LTS and it works fine with @robin.newman package, just few clicks and run !

1 Like

Until now, I didn’t see @robin.newman’s packgage existed. But I think my English was poorly written. I actually have no problems with SP on Ubuntu 20.04. Had I to do it over again, I might try Ubuntu Sudio - I’m learning as I go. I can compile and run pretty easily and am running the 3.3.0 Beta right now and haven’t found any problems. I was having a ton of xruns at first but some Jack configuration and mainly using a Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 helped with that.

Mint 19.3 was another story though. Like I said, many missing dependencies on top of missing dependencies for me. I started from scratch a few times and finally gave up. CMake, Erlang and Ruby at least were out of date. But even updating them and getting them to work meant certain libraries needed to build SP were missing or older. Whatever libffii7 is, just didn’t seem available but necessary for instance.

The problems with Mint 19.3 will be similar to problems with earlier Ubuntu like 18.04 You should be able to build it but it will require tweaks and possibly doing such things as installing a different versions of cmake and maybe build supercollider and its plugins. The advantage of more up to date versions like ubuntu 20.4 is that the packages require are generally built in and so they are easy to build. I haven’t tried Mint specifically…there are just too many distros out there.

Interesting, yeah. Seems like no matter what I was doing with Mint 19.3 was fighting dependencies (ad infinitum). I’d say for look and feel, Ubuntu 20.04 with the Cinnamon Desktop and Kvantum make it ‘look’ the same. How much horsepower difference for an audio workstation, I don’t know that, but so far, so good. I’ve purchased and installed Bitwig, have OSC commands driving for stemming live_loops in sync so far. Haven’t tried some of the other free DAWs yet. And really most of that is beside the point of SP. But I am interested in controlling things with SP code. As I was telling @Martin in a personal message, it’s sometimes easier to get into a rabbit hole (for me at least) with options and tech than actually just making music. So I’m still way behind on all of the possibilities of Sonic Pi on its own. However, I’ve wanted to make sure that if I DO do something unique and cool that I can capture it in appropriate layers for mixing etc.

Then again, for me installing different distros of Linux is a luxury. If you have one, don’t want to install another or can’t, it gets more difficult. At this point I’ve put so much time into my current setup, I’d be very hard-pressed to change now.

If one uses ’ live ’ ( boot from USB stick ) distros ,
there is no problem … Unless your P.C. will not
easily boot from USB … Which is not rare with
newer units .

If one uses ’ live ’ ( boot from USB stick ) distros ,
there is no problem … Unless your P.C. will not
easily boot from USB … Which is not rare with
newer units .

@hitsware - I’m not totally sure what you mean. That is what I do to start fresh, even with Mint 19.3. It wasn’t the booting process or installation of the Distro, rather the dependencies. As @robin.newman says above, The newer Ubuntu has all of the dependencies needed. Or at least if you apt-install you can get them for compiling from source code. I’ve got it working just fine on Ubuntu 20.04.

Maybe some of this would help @kaspaman23 though.

EDIT: Oh, yes, I see what you mean by live distros. Stuff set up already for audio. That makes sense. I haven’t tried any. I just went fresh install.

Not particularly for audio , but with everything working
out of the box . Being digitally challenged , I try for that .

I hear you! Sometimes we need to just get on with making music and sound.

ubuntu studio :pray: :slight_smile:

https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=ubuntustudio

Doesn’t list Sonic-Pi as included : (

The binary Feb I published fro Ubuntu 20.04 is NOT a full spec force based Feb and is not eligible therefore for inclusion in such a list. Similar to the Rasberry Zpi binary deb as described by @samaaron here it works ok but has to be installed from a separate source to the official distribution.

1 Like

yes it’s not official supported But i get the sonic pi 3.2.2 version working with the marvellous, the fabulous, the essential deb package from @robin.newman !