I spent two weeks attempting to write a working theory of digital music as it were, but it was a distraction from what sounded good, so I scrapped it and the “music” that resulted. I left that wrong turn with some new ideas however!
This complete rewrite:
- organises everything into files
- simplifies and detangles lots of spaghetti code, removing 1000 lines I didn’t need
- keeps and builds upon what worked of the sections from v0.2.0
- makes all rhythms calculative, with ideas I got from an interesting discussion about rhythm I shared earlier this month
- frees modulations of key to go anywhere within the major/minor/locrian modality
- begins to use version control and to document (I don’t know if an API is worth the effort), setting up a wiki, quick start readme, and contributors, &c.
Here’s a glimpse of what this program can do right now:
And here’s the project on GitHub: