Sonic Pi .deb package on Ubuntu 19.10?

Has anyone tried using the new .deb package on other debian-ish systems such as Ubuntu?

hi @chris.krakou

no but @robin.newman said it was working only for Buster on raspberry pi.
the next Ubuntu 20.04 Long Term Support version is due to be released soon. I will try to install spi 3.2.2 using the new procedure as i did on 18.04.04

Thanks for the fast response @nlb. I’m going to give the deb package a try on the off chance that it just might work.

you are a sacré aventurier ! http://r.newman.ch/rpi/sonic-pi-3.2.2/ The installer is a .deb file which will ONLY work with Raspberry Pi
I wouldn’t bet a penny on your success…

why don’t you wait for 20.04 release and then dist-upgrade ?

Good point. I’ll go with the safe option and use 18.04

10 days to wait. But it seems to have a first beta released if wanna try right now. http://releases.ubuntu.com/20.04/

The binary deb package I produced uses arm coded binaries and so won’t be any use on non arm based computers. However, I think that a binary deb for other Linux could be produced but would probably be different for each distro, by its very nature, not being source based. You can certainly build SP 3.2.2 on Ubuntu 19.10 and Debian 10.3. I will be looking at Ubuntu 20.04 when it is released.

1 Like

I decided to have a go, installed Ubuntu 20.04 beta on my Mac and managed to build SP 3.2.2 on it fairly easily. On the plus side, you don’t need any alternative packages now. The supplied packages for supercollider-server and sc3-plugins-server as well as cmake are now usable. The only problem is that final build of the helpfile system needs a lot of memory, and I had to install a swapfile to get this to build. The symptom you will get is a crash towards the end of the build process, due to lack of memory, although you don’t get any helpful error messages. I was building on a 4Gb RAM system and I installed an 8Gb swapfile using the procedure below.

#to setup swapfile
sudo fallocate -l 8G /swapfile
sudo chmod 600 /swapfile
sudo mkswap /swapfile
sudo swapon /swapfile

#to make permanent (surving reboot)
#sudo nano /etc/fstap
#add line
#/swapfile swap swap defaults 0 0
#ctrl+X then Y to wrote and exit

sudo swapon --show

#to remove swapfile
sudo swapoff -v /swapfile

#remove swapfile line from fstab using sudo nano /etc/fstab

sudo rm /swapfile

With the swapfile active it built fine.

I installed a list of packages prior to the install which can be refined a bit as some of the packages installed others on the list.

sudo apt-get install -y \
     g++  pkg-config git build-essential qjackctl libjack-jackd2-dev \
     libsndfile1-dev libasound2-dev libavahi-client-dev libicu-dev \
     libreadline6-dev libfftw3-dev libxt-dev libudev-dev  \
     libqt5svg5-dev qt5-qmake qt5-default libqt5websockets5-dev qtwebengine5-dev \
     qttools5-dev qttools5-dev-tools qtdeclarative5-dev libqt5webkit5-dev \
     qtpositioning5-dev libqt5sensors5-dev qtmultimedia5-dev libffi-dev \
     libqt5opengl5-dev curl erlang-base ruby ruby-dev cmake libssl-dev \
     libaubio5 supercollider-server sc3-plugins-server

after installing these you can proceed to installing and building sonic pi

git clone https://github.com/samaaron/sonic-pi.git

cd sonic-pi/app/server/native
mkdir lib
cd lib
ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libaubio.so.5 libaubio-5.so
#this allows for the fact that SP looks for libaubio-5.so not libaubio.so.5
cd ../../../gui/qt
./unix-prebuild.sh
./unix-config.sh
cd build
cmake --build .

When that has completed you can set up your sound card for jack using qjackctl
then ./sonic-pi from the build folder to run it.

I hope to look at the feasibility of building a binary installer .deb file

Great job @robin.newman !

I have downloaded the beta version this morning and have now to find a real machine to install on it.

Couldn’t come from the fact you use a virtualbox and so less processor power than on a native machine ?

it would be great just a click and hop it would be installed !

Thanks Robin. That worked like a charm! Hopefully Ubuntu will have less audio latency than Windows (which is why I looked this in the first place)