Sonic Pi at Cologne Sonoj Convention 2018

Hi,

I am happy to be invited to Sonoj Convention 2018 to give a talk about and do some live coding with Sonic Pi.

If you happen to be at Cologne in October and are interested you should register; admission is free but limited.

Martin

3 Likes

Congratulations! This is really fab news. Please do let us know how it goes :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Thanks… you’ll see, there will be video recordings of all session as far as I know.

3 Likes

Hi to all,

my talk about Sonic Pi (including 20 minutes of live coding) is online now:

Hope you’ll enjoy it.

Martin

6 Likes

Great performance. Loved the piece.
Not listened to all of the following talk yet…

0 Likes

Thanks @robin.newman for listening! And thanks to @samaaron for the lovely tweeted recomendation. I must admit that due to some jitters (I think that’s the correct word) my language perfomance during the talk wasn’t on the same level as the coding :wink: But that’s okay for now…

1 Like

It was both a fabulous performance and talk - thank-you so much. Clearly a lot of hard work went into preparing this and it really showed through. :slight_smile:

0 Likes

I’ve just built an Ubuntu 18.04 box with Sonic Pi 3.2 dev installed and I’ve also added carla to this, but I’ve never used it before and I would be interested in some pointers on connecting it all up as you have done in the talk.
At present I just use SP connected to an external hardware Steinberg UR22 mkII using qjackctl to do the connections.
Also some pointers on adding the Tal-reverb plugin you used.

Addendum EDIT
Got it working eventually. It’s a cool system.

have you used it for midi in/out as well?

0 Likes

Hi Robin,

that’s actually quite easy:

Every live_loop will send its signal to a designated output channel. No. 3/4 from live_loop :arp e. g. go to the Tal Reverb loaded into Carla. Actually I forgot to remove the connections for channel 1/2, because Sonic Pi sends all its output automatically on channel 1/2. That is why during the performance some distortion can be heard: the live_loop :arp (channel 3/4) and all others could also be heard on the master channel 1/2 (without external reverb); that was a mistake which fortunately did not spoil the sound too much.

Does that help?

As to Carla there is a presentation from Filipe Coelho from last year’s Sonoj available (who attended also this year), which gives an exhaustive overview of this fine software.

1 Like

Thanks for this. I"d just figured it out before reading your answer. Initially I had trouble getting the reverb plug in to work but OK now, also added the calf pack of goodies. It looks like a good system. Do you use the full KXStudio or just Carla? I’ve just installed Carla alone to start with.

0 Likes

Just Carla. I am using Linux Mint/Gnome since quite a while. I think I did compile the Calf suite as I read this would be better and especially more up-to-date than the version from package management.

I am still figuring out how much and what external plugin I want and need but for the presentation the reverb (because I needed a very strong reverb) and the compressor were a good choice.

I don’t see any problems using that with Midi. My next project is to integrate my Blofeld tightly into the setup (which involves spending quite some time with it). For the presentation I just used a sample made with the Blofeld but I have already checked to ‘outsource’ the synth live_loop to the Blofeld, which works well (actually I have your midi_chord function loaded into SP at startup :wink: .

0 Likes

Spent some time this afternoon listening to the talk half of your video. Well done!
I liked the section at the end in questions where you said a bit about your preparations for live coding and the shorthands you developed to remind you what to do.
I also liked the examples you used to illustrate Sonic Pi, especially developing on the qrpeggios example and putting it in a loop.

You’ve inspired me to look further at live coding: as you know I mainly work on linear pre-programmed classical music, but I liked your approach to live coding.

0 Likes

Hi Robin,

thanks for your kind words!

0 Likes