Live coding performance video. My first!

Good afternoon good people,
I have recently uploaded a video of my first ‘proper’ live coding performance. This is in preparation for a concert performance next month, with a 12yo student who has been learning Sonic Pi with me for the past year. We plan to ‘take turns’ at adding and changing code in real time at the concert, and I am hoping it will serve as promo material for a live coding class my music school plans to run later this year. I aim to attract young musicians in the audience who might be interested in dance/electronic/rock music, and the first 2 or 3 minutes of the video serve as a quick learning demo (play, sleep, conditional, iterate).

There is nothing ground-breaking or cutting edge here, and there’s even a little booboo with timing (and the resulting solution). I welcome your comments and suggestions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw3FuGUSpDY

Brendan

4 Likes

(and I rewrote the Dave Stewart riff in PD, so Sonic Pi now sends the notes via OSC ;), perfectly synced to all the other nonsense!)

4 Likes

PS loved your performance with the student, Brendan, listened a while back and got distracted before replying. Esp when Sweet Dreams bass came in with the rippling arps above - put a big smile on my face! Bet you brought the house down! Jules

1 Like

Hi @rebelcello
thanks for your lovely comments. Apologies if the original post was misleading but we haven’t actually performed yet, that was just a test video. The gig is Saturday week and I will post a link to the video, once we’ve cleared child protection etc.

I’ve remade the performance code too, I wanted to make it more ‘live’ and also more of a ‘sales pitch’ type of demo for Sonic Pi, help spread the good word. Either way, I will post a video link.

PD-Pi

2 Likes

Hello @brendanmac ! Great patch, very funky! With great musical allusions! :star_struck:? Thanks Brendan!

1 Like

Aha! Break a leg for the performance @brendanmac - you definitely will bring the house down :smiley: :musical_note: :dancer:

Interested in your work - I did a workshop at the weekend with a mixed group of YAs and older creatives, intro to sequencing/synths, and introduced SonicPi/Hydra as a next step. It was at a music gig venue, motivating for the group and a good link with the sound technician, who does light-sound mapping in a DIY way… At last some interest locally! Look forward to sharing your vid :slight_smile:

<3 I’m hoping to get a class together locally too; and I can’t wait to get stuck into Hydra (but much later)!

Out of interest, where is ‘locally’ for you?

PD-Pi