Sonic-pi_4.3.0 cannot install in RaspberryPi4B-4GB-128GBusb system?

sonic-pi_4.3.0_1_bullseye.armhf.deb
would not install in my RaspberryPi4B-4GB-128GBusb, why?
but
sonic-pi_3.2.2_4_armhf.deb
is ok.

Installs OK on my 4B - 4G (and 400 (4G)) with 16G usb or 32G sd …

I produced the .deb file in question. Can you give some more details on how you are trying to install it and what happens?
If you were to try again I would check the following (in a terminal window)
1 uninstall Sonic Pi 3.2.2 using sudo apt purge sonic-pi
EDIT I would reboot then
2 I assume you are on the latest version of Raspberry Pi OS, based on bullseye and not the earlier buster, and also a 32bit version not 64bit.
3. sudo apt update followed by sudo apt upgrade
4. in the folder where you have downloaded the deb file sonic-pi_4.3.0_1_bullseye.armhf.deb type
sudo apt install ./sonic-pi_4.3.0_1_bullseye.armhf.deb

If it doesn’t; work please report back what response you get.

I run the 64bit version on a 500Gb usb drive which boots one of my Pi4 quite happily.

my os is buster, so this may be the reason.

when to to upgrade to bullseye, the process failed with error message:

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libc6-dev : Breaks: libgcc-8-dev (< 8.4.0-2~) but 8.3.0-6+rpi1 is to be installed
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.

namlow

Yes the os is your problem. Sonic pi 4.3 requires the os based on Debian (11) bullseye. You will need to upgrade your os to run it. The latest Raspberry Pi OS version was released on February 21st 2023 and I recommend you upgrade to that. Available from Raspberry Pi OS – Raspberry Pi .

If you want to stay on your current OS the latest built deb file I have produced for that OS is
available for download here

It is worth noting that the next version of sonic pi version 5) will probably require the 64 bit version of Raspberrypi OS, as currently one of the packages it requires is not available in a 32 bit version.
I currently use the 64bit version on my Pi4 500Gb drive and the development version of Raspberry Pi 5 runs fine on that.

Hope you manage to sort something out.

1 Like

It is worth noting that the next version of sonic pi version 5)
will probably require the 64 bit version of Raspberrypi OS,
as currently one of the packages it requires is not available
in a 32 bit version.

God save us from backward compatibility …

God save us from backward compatibility …

The code you wrote for Sonic Pi 3 will still work in Sonic Pi 5 and Debian Buster will still install on the Raspberry Pi. You are complaining that a package specifically compiled for Bullseye does not install on Buster. That’s not what backward compatibility means. You can always try compiling it yourself.

1 Like