My album 'Synapse' - A journey through lo-fi breakbeats and uplifting electro jazz

Hi Sonic Pi’ers!

I’ve released another album thanks to Sonic Pi being so awesome, it’s over here:

And the source code is here:

https://binarysweets.co.uk/music/release/src/synapse.zip

Thanks for listening, let me know what you think.

Lee.

14 Likes

Congrats - listening now!

This is really good stuff. Did you use Sonic Pi for all of the tracks? I think I’m hearing some custom samples (maybe?) but was the whole thing sequenced with Sonic Pi?

1 Like

I like it! Reminds me of the 90’s. Coldcut, Kid Koala, Ninja Tune. That stuff.

1 Like

Many thanks both!

@darinwilson, thanks so much for supporting my album on BC. It was all done using Sonic Pi apart from some external editing and mastering. The ‘sequencing’, if you take a look at the source code, was achieved by running blocks of defined loops together in an array using Ruby’s ‘send’ method.

2 Likes

Ah - ok, I see now that I’m looking at the source. That’s a cool way to do it!

1 Like

Totally awesome tracks! You must teach me these programming techniques :smiley:!

1 Like

Thanks for posting this. I’m a newbie and have just finished the tutorials. I’m using your code to learn more about Sonic Pi. Thanks for posting. Your music is great.

1 Like

Thanks @Hotetsu. I’m no good at teaching but you can grab the source code from the link above and play around with it - Hopefully it will help you with your own creations.

@PiEaterAndPlayer, I’m pleased that you’re using my code for your learning! There are loads of other great techniques in this forum as well, so you should search around and find what fits your workflow.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s really nice, I love it! Great tune there! I notice your “block-way” to compose the form, and it’s really interesting. thanks for sharing, now I will get a closer look and try to understand this ruby’s send function.

Congrats from my side , too. I especially like “Circadian Rhythm” :slight_smile:
Keep it up.

Cu.

Noice! Just found this. Going to dl the zip file and take it apart. I’m especially interested in seeing how to create some of your sounds.

The source code link is no longer online. Do you have it elsewhere?

Here you go - Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

I gotta say, I do things differently now; The old code makes me shudder a bit :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks! With the nature of Sonic Pi, I think we just do whatever works in the moment.

Thanks a lot, really great stuff! Can you give any hint to sample packs you are using?

Thanks!

Most of the breaks came from an old drum and bass sample cd called ’ Zero-G Jungle Warfare’.
Some other stuff I got from Loopmasters CD’s, percussion, pianos and rhodes etc. And a few weird ones from Freesound. A bit of a mixed bag really.

1 Like