Hi All, I’m going to be teaching a high school level course on audiovisual live coding and using Sonic Pi as the main software for the audio side. Does anyone have any favorite videos that demonstrate what Sonic Pi is and how powerful it is? I’m just trying to compile a few options that will hopefully hook the students and get them excited. This video is a favorite of mine: https://youtu.be/G1m0aX9Lpts
Well, I’m quite proud of my half hour set for the TOPLAP15 birthday celebration
(In all seriousness though, there are many wonderful performances floating around on the Internet from folks all over the place. It’s hard for me to pick only one or two favourites )
It really depends on what style or length of performance you think would be ideal.
For longer performances/sets, (>= ~20 minutes), the one you highlight is great (and is Sam’s most viewed video). Here’s a few of my other favourites: (Mostly ambient/downtempo/chill. For all I know, they may not hold a high school student’s attention for a whole half an hour, but they are great examples of what’s possible, and are some of my favourite longer pieces, so )
- Meditative Frequencies - a slow-building, mellow, meditative performance by @EarthToAbigail
- Repl Electric - You fall into your screen - a nicely chilled performance by @josephwilk. This one uses a different text editor, Emacs, to talk to the sound engine of Sonic Pi.
- Sonic Pi Plays Bach Brandenburg Concerto no 5 - An amazing classical piece, transcribed into Sonic Pi by @robin.newman (that used so much code it was necessary to tell Sonic Pi to play it from some external files!)
For shorter pieces, here’s a few of my favourites: (this time, mostly more upbeat)
- Daft Punk - Aerodynamic with Sonic Pi (A clever reconstruction by Sébastien Rannou that went a little viral a few years ago )
- A cover of Daft Punk - Son of Flynn (Tron: Legacy OST) by (I think?) @sanju0 (I really like the song to begin with, but seeing it built/performed with Sonic Pi was special)
- @samaaron’s Phase Abstractions (Nothing like some thumping bass tones to go nuts to at a rave )
- For a bit of light-hearted fun/silliness, Figs in Wigs, ‘Cilla Black Bean Sauce’
I’m sure other folks here will have lots of different favourites that might display the power and flexibility of Sonic Pi, but those are (a few) of mine