We’re Making an AI Assistant for Sonic Pi and We’re Looking for Code Submissions

Hello in_thread, I am part of a team which is building a Sonic Pi AI assistant for the Neural Audio Synthesis Hackathon. We’re looking for code submissions to train the neural net. The hackathon will take place on December 18-19, and there’s still time to sign up to hack if you’re so inclined:

NASH: the Neural Audio Synthesis Hackathon | SIGNAS

The idea is based around code completion. The currently-running buffer acts as a primer or prompt, and the assistant will suggest live_loops or other structures which are contextually relevant to the piece of music being composed or performed. We’d like to parameterize the assistant, making it controllable via pitch, instrument type, or something more amorphous like mood. Another possible direction is generating code from written prompts. Example: “Give me a skittery, thumping bass drum with a hint of reverb.”

Apparently there’s a history of each Sonic Pi run located in “~/.sonic-pi/store/default“ which you can extract with “git -log p” if you “cd” there, but I can’t find this directory on either my Mac or Windows machine. If anyone has success with this method, please let me know. In the meantime, you can just send me your favorite programs and code snippets if you’d like—I can be reached at flexcouncilmusic@gmail.com.

Also, if given permission I can cut and paste from your in_thread posts if that’s easier. Since the hackathon is only a day away, I’m not sure how much community-contributed code we’ll be able to integrate into v1—probably most of the training for this version will be on a synthetic dataset. Eventually, though, we’d like the assistant to represent all the different coding styles present in the Sonic Pi community.

We plan to create a blockchain-based system which will facilitate revenue-sharing for code contributions in the event that music made with the AI assistant is distributed commercially. But to be upfront, I don’t know if that will work yet. It could take several years to push such a system through the music industry, so for now any code submissions would be more of a donation than an investment.

All submissions will be carefully logged, however, for future integration into a blockchain. And our AI assistant will be freely available, just like Sonic Pi.

Thanks to all the great programmers on this board! I’ve learned tons from reading the posts here.

2 Likes

@FlexCouncil - it might be a little late now to help, but what do you see when you look for ~/.sonic-pi ? (it’s a hidden folder, but unless there is a serious file permission error, such as when your system is set up to default your home folder to a strange location that you don’t have write permission for, there should be at least that folder there).
If ~/.sonic-pi does exist, what are the contents?
A semi-related question - are you using a release version of Sonic Pi downloaded from GitHub or sonic-pi.net, or a self-compiled build?

OK, thanks, I think I see something on Windows…I’m going to try a few export options in a few days when the hackathon is done. Both my Mac and Windows versions were downloaded from sonic-pi.net.