Sonic Pi + Sunvox + Linux + Midi

Hi @juzbo,

wow! Thanks a lot for taking the time to document your achievements.

I guess I will give Sunvox another try. Actually the only thing which has prevented me from doing so is the abundance of nice softsynths on Linux :wink: If I don’t just want to spent my available time trying out all the options (but rather make some music), it is just to much and I have to consciously leave aside things.

Martin

I’d say that was worth a ‘sticky’ and moving to a tech-support post… very well laid out and clear.

2 thumbs up… would read again.

Eli…

1 Like

Update: you can simplify the setup by adding a2jmidid -e & to Execute Script on Startup in qjackctl Setup -> Options

a2jmidid -e & is not starting on Ubuntu Studio 17.10 and I feel this makes Sonic Pi less connected.

Instead run in terminal and start jack

I found other solutions and it is finally working on stock
Ubuntu Studio 17.10 Artful Aardvark when all are combined.

1. Modify .asoundrc using these suggestions.
  2. Add a2jmidid -e & to setup in qjackctl using this link though not needed on 2.10 with out MIDI but hope 3.0 can be made to work.
  3. Followed this issue and threads to get USB mixer as output instead of laptop speaker or TV HDMI.

I am not sure which made it work but I am not touching anything until I have time to enjoy what I have already done.

Here are all 3 steps in screen shot enjoying last example "Sonic Dreams" on powered studio monitors not laptop speakers.

ag03 out - screenshot_2018-02-28_18-41-02

1 Like

i tried out sunvox a while ago, and it’s really cool (it looks kind of like some of the vfx programs that i use, like houdini or nuke)

this is a little OT, but maybe related to the issue of getting things to work on different platforms… i noticed that sunvox is available for all kinds of platforms (like PalmOS, something called MeeGo, then ipad and android and mac and windows and everything else). i was thinking, how is that possible? i thought that making something that works on a lot of different platforms is usually kind of hard. does anyone know how sunvox does that? is it written in some special language that makes it easier for it to work on all the different platforms?

1 Like

Sunvox author @nightradio looks like a fairly hardcore C programmer so is able to make it run on pretty much anything