Sam's Live Set on Byte

Hi @samaaron, saw your live set on Saturday, wow that was fantastic. Energy up, down and round the houses - a full musical journey. Thank you.

We were wondering about your setup - maybe they quizzed you after, but I didn’t see that. I’d love to know how you do the visuals, which were a big part of the experience.

1 Like

i second that ^^ …

I need to start up the monthly Patreon live streams again - that would be something interesting to show and talk about.

Essentially I am projecting some VJ video loops onto myself and the wall behind me. I then use OBS to mix the video streams of a camera recording this (facing me and the wall) and also the Sonic Pi screen. I also use a couple of the OBS filters to mess with the colours and to do the “green screening” to make the Sonic Pi app background transparent.

I also have additional cameras and views programmed that I am yet to integrate to my live sets (learning how to control everything once is a slow process for me). I also want to move away from VJ loops to something more procedural and generated by the code. But again, it’s baby steps and slow careful progression. I’ll get there though!

3 Likes

Thanks. That’d be great, the live streams.

Ah, I wondered if it was projecting on you in real life, or if you were combining three streams: you, the VJ loop and the Spi screen. Looked great at this end. One of the talks earlier was on Hydra, and I’ve lept on that as a source of visuals. I also never knew I needed a glowing split keyboard, how could I have missed that?

And then…much speculation on the chat about how you were using the Moog behind you. Were you sending individual midi notes over, or triggering sequences? I couldn’t really see and TBH I wanted to sit back and enjoy the show.

One of my sons watched your set with me - this is his territory he’s really into IDM - and he declared it to be first rate (or some phrase like that, didn’t really understand)