Issue with update - wmic.exe

I work as a teacher in Norway and I asked the ICT department to update Sonic Pi on the student’s and teacher’s computers. However ICT dept. inform me that this cannot be done because Sonic Pi 3.3.1 is breaking the security policy. They inform that it is not Sonic Pi itself but the application is using wmic.exe and this is not allowed. I informed ICT that I would contact you to see if there is anything that can be done to avoid Sonic Pi use of wmic.exe?

The logs can be found here https://tinyurl.com/logs09062021

@keys - it so happens that the use of wmic has been removed from the codebase recently, but this has not made it into a release just yet. @samaaron might know more about when we might be able to release a new version with the removed code.

1 Like

Sorry, but the next release is still quite a way away. As @ethancrawford pointed out I removed the code that was calling wmic.exe because one other organisation had similar security policy issues - although I should say that it’s been pretty rare to hear of issues with this in general - I guess each org has their own Windows policies.

The reason for using wmic.exe was to increase the process priority of the audio server to reduce audio dropouts.

Until the new version comes out, you should be ok with an older version: Releases · sonic-pi-net/sonic-pi · GitHub

1 Like

Thanks for the advise. Can I please ask you to suggest the newest version we can use that is not using wmic.exe? E.g. will 3.3.0 be ok?

Here’s where the wmic.exe code was added in June 2020 - Windows - set priority of supercollider server process to be high pri… · sonic-pi-net/sonic-pi@4167d44 · GitHub

Any release prior to that should therefore be good. For example, v3.2.2: Release Tau3 · sonic-pi-net/sonic-pi · GitHub

1 Like

Thanks! I will inform ICT to install 3.2.2 :+1: