Install Sonic Pi 3.3 beta on Ubuntu 20.04 : very easy

hello,

Just to say thanks to everyone who make sonic pi install easy as your a b c on ubuntu 20.04.
I just followed these steps and boum it works on a fresh ubuntu 20.04 install.

Midi works - OSC works - good line is indicated when errors :slight_smile:
See you

2 Likes

I was stoked until I realize the link is broken. I have issues with the sudo apt-get install sonic-pi version.
for one, it installs version 2.2, and that crashes after a long wait. Im on Ubuntu Mate 20.04, Im not sure if sonic-pi is doing some distro specific operations, like gnome dependencies, but I dont make it past the loading screen.

1 Like

Sonic Pi is not officially supported for the official software distribution repositories - we unfortunately don’t have the resources to handle it - so you will be at the mercy of community maintained versions in that regard.

Having said that, the recent work by members of the core team to improve the build scripts means that compiling Sonic Pi yourself is a much easier job these days - so that’s definitely the recommended way to get up to date Sonic Pi on your Linux machine :slightly_smiling_face:

(The updated documentation link for building in Linux is:
sonic-pi/BUILD-LINUX.md at main Β· sonic-pi-net/sonic-pi Β· GitHub)

1 Like

after building it is not showing up any executable and hence, I can’t run last command ./sonic-pi in build directory.
following files are present there:
`api CMakeFiles compile_commands.json gui

CMakeCache.txt cmake_install.cmake config.h Makefile`

I would like to make clear that i have already obtained the following confirmation.
[100%] Built target sonic-pi

@amitmishra0617 - what branch/commit are you building from?

The binary sonic-pi should be in
build/gui/qt folder. You can also run it from β€œsonic-pi”/bin/sonic-pi where β€œsonic-pi” is your source folder used to create the build.
I currently have a build for tagged 3.3 running ok in my RPi with Ubuntu OS.
Should build tagged 3.3.1 OK as well from main branch. Development version for 3.4 is in branch dev. I’ve not tried this on Ubuntu running on a Pi4 yet.

Hi

This is what i get on ubuntu 18.04.05 but any linux distribution would have the same tree.

nlb@devbox:~/audio/spi3.3$ tree -Ll 1
β”œβ”€β”€ app
β”œβ”€β”€ appveyor.yml
β”œβ”€β”€ bin
β”œβ”€β”€ BUILD-LINUX.md
β”œβ”€β”€ BUILD-MAC.md
β”œβ”€β”€ BUILD-WINDOWS.md
β”œβ”€β”€ CHANGELOG.md
β”œβ”€β”€ COMMUNITY.md
β”œβ”€β”€ CONTRIBUTORS.md
β”œβ”€β”€ CORETEAM.html
β”œβ”€β”€ etc
β”œβ”€β”€ FAQ.md
β”œβ”€β”€ FUNDING.yml
β”œβ”€β”€ HOW-TO-CONTRIBUTE.md
β”œβ”€β”€ install
β”œβ”€β”€ LICENSE.md
β”œβ”€β”€ prebuilt
β”œβ”€β”€ README.md
β”œβ”€β”€ SYNTH_DESIGN.md
β”œβ”€β”€ TESTING.md
β”œβ”€β”€ TRANSLATION.md
└── TRANSLATION-WORKFLOW.md

5 directories, 17 files
nlb@devbox:~/audio/spi3.3$ ./bin/sonic-pi &

I just make it without any error right now from the source on UBuntu 18.04.05.

@robin.newman Hum how can i test this version ? Clone then change branch ?

Edit : ok that’s it :

git clone --branch dev https://github.com/samaaron/sonic-pi.git spi_dev

If you do try building 3.4dev be warned that there is a whole load of new stuff included and the initial build is quite involved and time consuming including support for an alternative example gui (essentially you get two alternative sp builds) and incorporating the vc package build. Also further significant modifications to the spmidi and erlang setup.