How to start at making gabbercore

How do I start making gabber core with sonic pi.

I know the rhythm, but the “corey” bits are hard to create.
I have no history in music and all is just figuring it out on the spot. But now I don’t really know how to create it because there isn’t a lot of info of it online for sonic pi.

Hi, you can download samples from https://samplefocus.com/tag/gabber.
You can choose the key (C, D…B), as well as the type of scale (major or minor)

3 Likes

Hi, I don’t really know what you mean by gabbercore, but I am working on a Sonic Pi synth for making gabber sounds (gabberkick). I hope to be able to get that on the next SP release, but if posting the current state here, along with some hints on how to use it, just let me know.

Always interested! But I’m not to tech-savvy in correlation with other users here. So it might raise more questions then answers.

You can download the current state of the synthdef file here. It is the compiled version that can be used directly with Sonic Pi. Place it in a folder you remember. In SP you would do something like this:

load_synthdef "path/to/the/folder/you/remember/sonic-pi-gabberkick.scsyndef"
use_bpm 150
live_loop :gab do
  use_synth 'sonic-pi-gabberkick'
  play 35, sustain: 0.2
  sleep 0.5
  sample :bd_fat
  sleep 0.5
end

The synth is not (yet) an »official« SP synth and hence not documented in SP’s help system. It has some configurable options, but I still need to figure out myself how they influence the sound. For the time being, you can play with the envelope params like attack:, sustain: etc.

Let me know if it works for you. I can post progress on this synth here.

2 Likes

Nice! Will check it out asap!! Thanks
Keep you posted here on the progress of playing with it :slight_smile:

@bmx Hey the link for the synthdef file is not working anymore? :confused:

Kind regards!

Actually, the :gabberkick synth was included in v4.5.0 released in November 2023 :slight_smile:

2 Likes