Sonic Pi Soundboard

Heyo!

I dunno about you, but I can’t remember the difference between all the different sample sounds in Sonic Pi. My day job is as a web dev, so I threw this together today:

It’s very much a 0.1.0 website, but it gets the job done for now. If you like it and would like to see something added to it, feel free to reach out or do a pull request to the repo!

It’s built with Svelte, in case anyone was wondering.

Enjoy!

8 Likes

NIFTY !
It would be nice to have similar for the synth sounds …

Agreed. I’m not entirely sure if that can be easily pulled off on the web though. There’s probably a way, but that’s beyond my skillset. It doesn’t seem like there’s a web version of SuperCollider.

You would have to use the Sonic-Pi ’ record ’
function , to make your own samples .

Yeah, it’s a bit more complicated than that, unfortunately.

Is there something different about the samples
supplied ?
I never use them , so know nada about them .

Nah, it’s not an issue with the samples. The problem is that I’d have to recreate the entire Sonic Pi app in the browser to get the synths to work, which I don’t think is possible.

Why not …

1. record the synth
  2. take the sample and use in the same format you used ?

I guess I’m not understanding what you are asking for. What are you looking for?

So just a single note for all the synths? That seems reasonable.

Hi @modulo,

Sorry but I can’t see the interest of your little app… you can easily create a function into sonic pi on a side buffer to listen to each built-in samples right ? So could you explain how you feel the need of your app ?
If you want to improve your board, may i suggest to add a filter at the top of it into an input field to access fast to a sample. Of course only the name of the possible samples would be proposed.
Cheers.

There is, admittedly, a potentially helpful use case for this - folks could check out the available sounds without having to download the app for example :smile:

1 Like

Agreed with @ethancrawford. Thanks for your efforts with this @modulo :slight_smile: I look forward to seeing how this evolves.

3 Likes

Not misunderstand me it is just a question to see if I miss something :blush:

All good. The problem this little app solves is reducing a four-step process into one. You can easily “browse” through all of the samples at once.

I agree the filter would be nice, as there are A LOT of samples. I appreciate the input.

Thank you @samaaron and @ethancrawford! I’m looking for ways to improve it :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi @modulo. This is cool. I would suggest you could also give each a personality. If there was a visual mnemonic like a generated icon that one could associate and help remember whats what that would be helpful.

This site can generate them for you.

So :ambi_choir becomes

:ambi_dark_woosh becomes

etc… Maybe there’s a better mnemonic where different parts of the icon mean different things, grouped by color, etc. Just a suggestion.

No pressure. :sweat_smile:

That’s a really cool site!

I’m curious what the purpose of the icon is? Are you planning on memorizing all 166 samples? lol

Put a face to the sound I guess. Maybe it’s more memorable than the name. It would be even cooler if you could find a way to codify the ‘feel’ of the sound in a picture. Similar to how a spectrogram does for voices. Once you know how to read it you can tell what it is at a glance.

Total tangent but vaguely applicable - sound visuals.

Nice! Those are definitely pretty cool. A bit outside the scope of this project though.