Help request - Sonic Pi not running in Windows 10

No matter what I have tried I cannot get Sonic Pi to run. It gets as far as the splash screen but no further.

I’ve tried the following to get it to work:

Reboot - several times
Uninstall - reboot
Fresh download and install
Reboot
Added sonic.pi. exe and scsynth.exe to the list of apps that are allowed through Windows Defender firewall

All to no avail. Below are my scsynth.log and gui.log It looks like the main issue is a failure to open the sonic pi server.

Any help will be gratefully accepted.

scscynth.log

=================================

Starting SuperCollider 2019-06-02 15:40:57

Device options:

• MME : Microsoft Sound Mapper - Input (device #0 with 2 ins 0 outs)
  • MME : Microphone (High Definition Aud (device #1 with 2 ins 0 outs)
  • MME : Microsoft Sound Mapper - Output (device #2 with 0 ins 2 outs)
  • MME : Headphones (High Definition Aud (device #3 with 0 ins 2 outs)
  • MME : Speakers (High Definition Audio (device #4 with 0 ins 2 outs)
  • Windows DirectSound : Primary Sound Capture Driver (device #5 with 2 ins 0 outs)
  • Windows DirectSound : Microphone (High Definition Audio Device) (device #6 with 2 ins 0 outs)
  • Windows DirectSound : Primary Sound Driver (device #7 with 0 ins 2 outs)
  • Windows DirectSound : Headphones (High Definition Audio Device) (device #8 with 0 ins 2 outs)
  • Windows DirectSound : Speakers (High Definition Audio Device) (device #9 with 0 ins 2 outs)
  • ASIO : ASIO4ALL v2 (device #10 with 2 ins 2 outs)
  • Windows WASAPI : Speakers (High Definition Audio Device) (device #11 with 0 ins 2 outs)
  • Windows WASAPI : Headphones (High Definition Audio Device) (device #12 with 0 ins 2 outs)
  • Windows WASAPI : Microphone (High Definition Audio Device) (device #13 with 2 ins 0 outs)
  • Windows WDM-KS : Speakers (HD Audio Speaker) (device #14 with 0 ins 2 outs)
  • Windows WDM-KS : Headphones (HD Audio Headphone) (device #15 with 0 ins 2 outs)
  • Windows WDM-KS : Microphone (HD Audio Microphone 2) (device #16 with 2 ins 0 outs)
  • Windows WDM-KS : Microphone (HD Audio Microphone) (device #17 with 2 ins 0 outs)

Booting with:
In: MME : Microphone (High Definition Aud
Out: MME : Headphones (High Definition Aud
SC_PortAudioDriver: PortAudio failed at Pa_OpenStream with error: ‘Unanticipated host error’
could not initialize audio.

gui.log

=============================

[GUI] - Detecting port numbers…
[GUI] - GUI OSC listen port 4558
[GUI] - port: 4558 [OK]
[GUI] - Server OSC listen port 4557
[GUI] - port: 4557 [OK]
[GUI] - Server incoming OSC cues port 4559
[GUI] - port: 4559 [OK]
[GUI] - Scsynth port 4556
[GUI] - port: 4556 [OK]
[GUI] - Server OSC out port 4558
[GUI] - GUI OSC out port 4557
[GUI] - Scsynth send port 4556
[GUI] - Erlang router port 4560
[GUI] - port: 4560 [OK]
[GUI] - OSC MIDI out port 4561
[GUI] - port: 4561 [OK]
[GUI] - OSC MIDI in port 4562
[GUI] - port: 4562 [OK]
[GUI] - Init script completed
[GUI] - using default editor colours
[GUI] - launching Sonic Pi Server:
[GUI] - starting UDP OSC Server on port 4558…
[GUI] - UDP OSC Server ready and listening
[GUI] - Ruby server pid registered: 10352
[GUI] - waiting for Sonic Pi Server to boot…

[GUI] - Critical error! Could not boot Sonic Pi Server.

@paul,

Do the comments on this github issue help at all?

@ethan, Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried everything mentioned in the comments but to no avail. Sadly, having spent a lot of time trying to get Sonic Pi to work on my machine, I think I have little option but to give up for now. I will keep an eye out for updates. Hopefully there will be a version that works out of the box for me.

There is work going on in the Supercollider project that is quite possibly connected with this - see https://github.com/supercollider/supercollider/issues/4395 and a related PR https://github.com/supercollider/supercollider/pull/4009 if you are interested. @samaaron - any further comments about this?

I’m monitoring the supercollider development closely. I really hope that they can get their next release out so we can test these windows boot improvements…

1 Like

hey all, sorry about the delays. we are recovering from the backlog after a 2 month freeze to all SC development, but #4009 will definitely go into 3.10.3. the deadline for that version was supposed to be this weekend but more realistically we’re probably releasing a beta in another week or two. thanks for your patience.

2 Likes

Amazing stuff @nathan. Thanks so much for keeping us in the loop :slight_smile:

That’s great to hear. Fingers crossed it will fix the issue!