Problems starting SP 3.0.1 on Linux (Mint 18.1/Ubuntu 16.4)

Hi,

as stated in the subject… All compiled well but on startup the server-output.log tells me:

[...]
Boot - Receiving ack from scsynth
Boot - Server connection established
Failed to start server: 
/home/marty/bin/sp3.x/sp/app/server/sonicpi/lib/sonicpi/promise.rb:34:in `sleep'
/home/marty/bin/sp3.x/sp/app/server/sonicpi/lib/sonicpi/promise.rb:34:in `wait'
/home/marty/bin/sp3.x/sp/app/server/sonicpi/lib/sonicpi/promise.rb:34:in `block in get'
/home/marty/bin/sp3.x/sp/app/server/sonicpi/lib/sonicpi/promise.rb:32:in `synchronize'
/home/marty/bin/sp3.x/sp/app/server/sonicpi/lib/sonicpi/promise.rb:32:in `get'
/home/marty/bin/sp3.x/sp/app/server/sonicpi/lib/sonicpi/server.rb:110:in `initialize'
/home/marty/bin/sp3.x/sp/app/server/sonicpi/lib/sonicpi/studio.rb:183:in `new'
/home/marty/bin/sp3.x/sp/app/server/sonicpi/lib/sonicpi/studio.rb:183:in `init_scsynth'
/home/marty/bin/sp3.x/sp/app/server/sonicpi/lib/sonicpi/studio.rb:56:in `initialize'
/home/marty/bin/sp3.x/sp/app/server/sonicpi/lib/sonicpi/lang/sound.rb:125:in `new'
/home/marty/bin/sp3.x/sp/app/server/sonicpi/lib/sonicpi/lang/sound.rb:125:in `block (2 levels) in included'
/home/marty/bin/sp3.x/sp/app/gui/qt/../../../app/server/bin/sonic-pi-server.rb:177:in `new'
/home/marty/bin/sp3.x/sp/app/gui/qt/../../../app/server/bin/sonic-pi-server.rb:177:in `<main>'
Exiting - shutting down scsynth server...
[...]

Any hints what I should do or look for?

Martin

Hi @Martin,

it’s early days with these forums, so I’m still figuring out how we should best use it.

However, I’m thinking that big stack traces and trying to handle the incredibly vast range of issues resulting from the incredibly vast range of potential linux targets isn’t necessarily the most friendly thing for new users and non-technical minded people to frequently see on here.

I think we should try and stick to using and talking about Sonic Pi here - and the bugs and issues should stay over in the GitHub issues page: http://github.com/samaaron/sonic-pi/

I should also add that generic Linux still isn’t officially supported and isn’t likely to until either I have enough funds for both myself and to pay someone to help or someone steps up to help. I think it might be worth exploring something like Docker to try and minimise the range of potential issues.

Hi @samaaron , hi to the others,

well, to be honest: yes and no.

Yes:

• I agree that it is not ‘the most friendly thing for new’ users.
  • And yes, this should go to a place which easily can be ignored if you not interested in Linux issues.

No:

• It might well be very interesting for new users working with Linux.
  • I doubt that I (and others working with Linux) do reach the same audience at Github.
  • I do know that you currently do not and can not support SP for Linux; that is one reason why I did post this here and recommend to let discussions about SP and Linux find a place here.
  • I did also post notes and issues about SP/Linux at Github and I can go on doing it.
  • Knowing why and that there is no official Linux support I do also think it is important to spread the discussion as broad as possible (to try to compensate for the currently not feasible support)

I do hope that more people will sign up for a Patreon membership to fund all your hard work properly! As a side effect I would be glad and grateful to keep on using Sonic Pi with Linux.

I’d be interested in what other (Linux) members of the community think about that.

Martin

PS.: Wouldn’t it be a good idea to create a category “Sonic Pi on Linux”?

1 Like

I agree on the fact that we need a place do discuss Sonic-pi on Linux topics.
I have quite an impressive number of kids in my workshops that have linux laptops, often recycled eepc.
And they try to read english forums but not easily Github issues.

Github is the place where concrete very technical and specific to sonic pi discussions must be, but we have to struggle with jakd, supercollider and this forum is the place where we can exchange solutions and tips.

1 Like

Just to be clear - discussing the use of Sonic Pi on Linux in these forums is totally appreciated and welcomed :slight_smile:

However, discussing bugs including boot errors should be confined to GitHub.

Of course, discussing how to more effectively configure linux - especially jackd is welcomed here. However, I want to make this forum as friendly, welcoming and positive as possible for the majority of Sonic Pi users who are predominately using Raspbian or Windows.

@Martin - I’m not sure that we should create a “Sonic Pi on Linux” category - otherwise we’d have to create a “Sonic Pi Pi on Windows”, “Sonic Pi on macOS”, “Sonic Pi on…” category too.

I want these forums to predominantly be used for people sharing ideas and thoughts about using Sonic Pi. For example, compositional ideas, new synth designs, ways of teaching music/CS, etc.

If a new educator comes along and just sees Linux-tech-talk that’s not the atmosphere I would like to emphasise or encourage.

Well, finally it is your decision.

Posted an issue on Github and will be very grateful if anyone has a tip, because now none of my SP versions run (which they did a day ago): https://github.com/samaaron/sonic-pi/issues/1751

Martin