Transferring live_loops from Sonic Pi to Ableton for mixing, mastering and releasing songs

Hey everyone, hope you’ve been well!

I’m working on releasing music, I primarily use Sonic Pi to produce and perform music with my vocals running through it, and now I’m in the process of transferring these songs to Ableton so I can arrange, mix and master each track. In the past I have recorded the whole song in Sonic Pi and then have done a quick overall mix and master, but this time I would like some more fine tuning abilities which requires recording each live_loop/live_audio separately. I would love any advice on ways people have done this?

Essentially I need to record each live loop separately and ideally at the same time, at a high quality and then transfer this into Ableton for fine tuning.

A few ideas I have or have found on in_thread:

• Using the record button with one loop at a time, setting the global sample rate to a higher quality then copy pasting each file into an Ableton audio track - the draw back of this is ideally its all at once so timing of track changes make sense together.

• The use of buffers potentially? Is it possible to use buffers for up to 5 minute recordings? I am not yet sure where they are saved either…

• Sending audio from each live loop to a separate audio channel in Ableton using something like blackhole and recording in Ableton instead? Is there a way I could send vocals from Ableton into Sonic Pi and then back into Ableton to record? (I love the in-built effects Sonic Pi has for vocals)

Any other ideas, tips or pointers to other posts are much appreciated!

Warmly,
Fetle :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi! Everything you’ve said sounds right to me. Recording each loop individually would work, but it sounds time-consuming and hard to re-sync them. Buffers are… weird. They seem like a cool feature, but I’ve not had much success when I’ve tried to use them. Probably too ephemeral for this use.

So I’d go with the third option. I don’t actually use Ableton or Blackhole, but I use Pipewire on Linux to route audio between Sonic Pi and Ardour, and I assume the process is similar. It works well! The latency on SP can be a little high for things with sharp attacks like keyboards and percussion, but for vocals it’s probably okay.

1 Like

I didn’t know Ardour works with Pipewire now, will try it later.
Many DAWs support per-channel latency compensation for send FX.

1 Like

Thanks so much! This is very helpful :smiley:

Yes exactly - the recording of each loop technically is fine but would take sooo long!

I’ll get onto blackhole or research the best tool to route audio for Mac :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good point! My (feeble) understanding of that compensation is that it will keep tracks in sync with each other, but it can’t eliminate the latency from Sonic Pi’s JACK buffer*. If I were doing what halloworld describes (using Sonic Pi for live processing of vocals, then routing its output to Ardour/Ableton), I would probably capture the audio in SP rather than trying to do a round trip and doubling the latency.

* Oops, that’s not quite what I meant. I should have said that it can’t “advance” live incoming audio to compensate for latency, the way it can with prerecorded tracks.

More precisely, it’s not that Ardour supports Pipewire specifically; rather that Pipewire emulates JACK well enough to be usable most of the time. It’s not 100% stable, though, especially if you try to cut it close on the latency, as would probably be desirable for a live performance. So currently when I play live, using Ardour to route synths and effects, I still use the ALSA backend.

Good luck to both of you!

2 Likes