Supercollider server

Hello,
When I finished/stopped running my code I get these messages in the log:

=> Completed run 132
=> All runs completed
=> Pausing SuperCollider Audio Server

Is my Sonic Pi connected to SuperCollider Audio Server through the internet/cloud or is it installed in my computer?

It’s local :slightly_smiling_face:
See below for a rough overview of the Sonic Pi components. The diagram is slightly out of date with respect to some components, like those that handle MIDI for example. The piece you’re talking about, scsynth, is bundled with the app.

So, if it is local, how can I actually connect to it online and get new synths that is not bundled with my current version of Sonic Pi?

As you may or may not know, Sonic Pi’s synths and fx are the special binary files called SynthDefs (this is the format that SuperCollider uses to create such things). This means that any SynthDefs that have been made for SuperCollider can be used in Sonic Pi also. (Or you can even make your own). To make new SynthDefs available it is usually enough to place a bunch of these external SynthDefs in a folder somewhere, and call load_synthdefs in Sonic Pi to load them into memory. There are more details about all this here:

If you are not feeling up to finding (or making) new SynthDefs, then the next best option for making new synth sounds is to use Sonic Pi’s MIDI or OSC abilities to communicate with external synths. There are plenty of posts around here on the forum detailing this, it’s worth having a look around if that’s the case :slightly_smiling_face:

(Also, as I have mentioned elsewhere a handful of times, it’s my personal goal to continue introducing a bunch of new synths and fx into Sonic Pi as time goes on - and particularly, synths and fx that individually can create a wide variety of sounds).

As you may or may not know, Sonic Pi’s synths and fx are the special binary files called SynthDefs (this is the format that SuperCollider uses to create such things). This means that any SynthDefs that have been made for SuperCollider can be used in Sonic Pi also.

Thanks for the answer.
Yes, I do know about SynthDefs, and have read about how to make one (although I have not yet tried it). But since you said it is local, I thought that those SynthDefs are bundled and installed locally, so any new SynthDefs added to SuperCollider server are not available unless you connect to it online.

Loading new synths is done using the load_synthdefs function (all local) as mentioned above :slightly_smiling_face: See details in the app’s Help panel under the Lang section for that command :+1:

Ok, thanks for the answer. I’ll look into it.