Creating synths…….now no sound

I get no sound from sonic pi when i add the synthdef in supercollider. I have to start my raspberry pi 4 over again in order to get sound back in sonic pi. But soon as i go back to the step on adding the synth def it’s the same story. Might it be different apps or programs tying up the audio ports?

Hi @btaylor,

To use custom synths, the usual workflow is to compile the SynthDef binary file and save it to a folder on your computer somewhere - and then use the load_synthdefs function in Sonic Pi to load it into memory. Is this what you do? Have you been aware of the synth design document?

Yes I’m doing that. I followed a video Sam did every step of the way. And after I loaded my synth def and save the supercollider file on my desktop. My sonic pi has no sound. From that synth or any other pre package sounds in super collider. You think it’s maybe cause I have my supercollider listen tidal cycles on port 0?

If you run Supercollider separately while Sonic Pi is also running, then I guess it’s possible there’s a conflict, sure - though I’ve not checked that kind of situation myself.

Ok I’m try to figure it out somehow

@btaylor - are you using the same version of Supercollider/scsynth that is bundled with Sonic Pi?
In .sonic-pi/log/spider.log, there should be a line that looks similar to the following (your version may be different):

Studio - Initialised SuperCollider Audio Server v3.12.1

If you are trying to use a different version of Supercollider outside of Sonic Pi to the one reported in the log, there may be a problem there. (Particularly if you are running different minor versions (eg 3.11 and 3.12).

That was the problem with the sounds I had to match the versions. The build version of supercollider wouldn’t run on the new bull sonic pi. Do you know of a way to get the new supercollider so I can use it with the newer version of sonic pi?

And do you know anything about crating synths in supercollider for sonic pi. Cause I used the help documents and watched a dead coding YouTube video. Did my code correct but the def still won’t play in sonic pi?

Apologies but I don’t really know what’s going wrong for you. Could you share a copy of your ~/.sonic-pi/log/scsynth.log file after you’ve loaded your synthdef and attempted to play it?

Ok I will look for it in send it to you

Can synths be created in the raspberry pi version. And is the build version of supercollider the most recent version?

=> Starting run 1

=>Loaded synthdefs in path /home/pi/Desktop/piTest.scsyndef

{run: 1, time: 0.0}

synth “piTest”, {note:100}

Starting SuperCollider 2022-02-08 18:44:40

Found 0 LADSPA plugins
JackDriver: client name is ‘SuperCollider’
SC_AudioDriver: sample rate = 48000.000000, driver’s block size = 1024
SuperCollider 3 server ready.
late 0.079896808
*** ERROR: open directory failed ‘/home/pi/Desktop/piTest.scsyndef’
*** ERROR: SynthDef piTest not found
FAILURE IN SERVER /s_new SynthDef not found
late 0.023207307

I using the same supercollider versions

Ah. I see the problem.

Notice how the errors are saying:

open directory failed ‘/home/pi/Desktop/piTest.scsyndef’

This is saying it’s not able to open the directory piTest.scsyndef.

load_synthdefs expects a directory parameter :slight_smile:

This sounds like an excellent reason to add another error check into the load_synthdefs function :+1:

1 Like

ok thanks i finally got it. thax for all your help

No problem! Have fun…