Stream sonic pi audio over Zoom

Hello. I am giving a presentation on Sonic Pi in two days which was moved online through Zoom due to Covid 19. I tested out a screenshare + audio yesterday and though audio from things like youtube are working, it’s not picking up the Sonic Pi audio.

I was wondering if anyone has encountered the same situation and what you used to get around it. This will be on a Mac with the latest Sonic Pi. I have eyeballed Soundflower as a possible way to hook up directing the audio to Zoom, which I can see listed as an “audio device” in the Audio MIDI Setup, but I haven’t tested it out yet.

My fallback at the moment is just going to be to turn down the zoom audio volume and then point speakers back at my computer, but I am sure there is a more elegant solution :slight_smile:

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Hi there,

I haven’t tried with macOS yet, but I can confirm that I was able to stream audio from Sonic Pi on Windows using Zoom.

It will be nice to figure out a decent solution for macOS so when I get chance I’ll take a look - but if anyone else finds a solution please do share it here.

1 Like

A coworker just tested it on her Windows laptop and we confirmed that’s working. I will borrow her computer for the presentation as a backup! It will be interesting to know if this is a common issue for Mac or if it’s just something specific to my setup.

Thanks!

BREAKTHROUGH!
When you’re setting up your zoom screenshare, you have to share your “Desktop” in order to get the audio. I had previously been trying to share only the Sonic Pi window. Hooray! Thanks for your help, and thanks for building cool software :slight_smile:

1 Like