Rhythmic consonance?

Yes. Thanks for that. Never heard before but definitely worth listening.

Not exactly a match for this thread’s subject but in case you do not already know - which I doubt - here is my recommendation:

EDIT: Yes. Excellent analysis in the video and surprising resolution.

2 Likes

Xronomorph is a very interesting free software in respect to rhythm:
https://www.dynamictonality.com/xronomorph.htm

“The Geometry of Musical Rhythm” by Godfried Toussaint is a great read. It is strictly concerned with repetitive rhythms and not all rhythmical phenomena.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing, these look interesting! :smiley:

Coincidentally, the work I’m developing (called chronometry) has as one of its building blocks the (poly)chronomorph! The rhythms I employ are all Euclidean however, and the “shape” I ascribe to musical time is pitch information.

1 Like

Godfried Toussaint is the guy who started writing about euclidean rhythms (as far as I know) so that should be a must-read.

1 Like

! I am ignorant. Definitely a must-read.

1 Like

Supercool! Time to have fun with Xronomorph! :+1:

1 Like

Xronomorph

Let’s get these implemented in Sonic Pi!

Perfect balance - who wants to have a go at this? I think it should be possible just as a Ruby function which would make a very easy first PR for someone. I’m happy to help with the process of getting it merged.

Well formedness I’m not sure I understand this one yet. Again though, it’s probably only a couple of functions to implement.

Any takers?

3 Likes

New euclidean rhythm software and browser option: Releases · hisschemoller/music-pattern-generator · GitHub

But, yes, would be fantastic to have perfect balencend and well formed rhythms in Sonic Pi.

1 Like