Raspberry pi 5 on pre-order

New Raspberry Pi 5 on preorder from today. Will be interesting to see how sonic-pi runs on it. However no audio jack so you’ll have to use usb interface or audio over hdmi and monitor. However this is same as for pi400.

2 Likes

Too bad about the audio jack .
Worse about the need for fan (if true ?)
AND … Yes … interesting how the new OS
will handle SPi …

The fan is (strongly) suggested for the computationally intensive tasks; Indeed a fan is included in the new case and a more powerful one, with a big heatsink, is available as an add-on.
I’ve read that both are pretty silent, fortunately.

I’ll soon make a preorder!

-------Sonic Pi ?---------

It depends on the complexity of the patch/program you’re creating: some sonic pi creations can be quite intensive. :slight_smile:
Anyway If the fan is really silent(ish) it won’t be a problem; I believe is a reasonable trade-off for more computational power.

Looks like there is a new release of the raspberry pi os coming out with the Pi5. I’m hoping it will be based on 64bit Debian 12. I have been playing with the arm64 version of that on a virtual machine on my Mac and have now got Sonic Pi 4.4 working nicely on that under pipe-wire with qpwgraph giving a nice graphical way to patch the audio and midi links.

IIRC I’ve read on the officialPi blog that a new version of Rasperry OS based on Debian 12 “bookworm” is ready to release with the new hardware.

I want to add that I’m currently using Debian 12 on my laptop and Sonic-Pi (+ jack) works really fine; I followed the build guide and after some minor nuisances everything is up and running! :grinning: :v:t2:

Hi rangmod. Yes I have run sp on Debian 12 with jack directly, but this is the first distributor I have managed to get it working with pipe-wire which can integrate pulseaudio and jack as well.

1 Like