This discussion reminded me of a UX suggestion I have Syncing across buffers?
Having the ability to assign custom names to the buffers would be helpful. Nine things is a lot to keep track of (in human memory) unless you’ve developed a real system or experience around something. If I close down Sonic Pi and don’t get back to it (sadly) for a few days, or even a few hours, I’ve forgotten what is in all the buffers.
Out of curiosity - is there a motivation behind starting with nine buffers specifically? I know they’re all arbitrary but as a new user I’m always having a moment of asking myself which buffer to paste a piece of code into, and then flipping through each of them to assess which is the stalest / least interesting for replacing with. Of course, there’s nothing stopping each user from creating their own conventions (buffer 0 is “scratch”, buffer 1 is “main”, buffer 2 is “drums”…). Being able to label would cut down on some mental tax there.
I think some or all of these additions would help:
- Allow for renaming buffers to a user-friendly label
- Option to name buffers automatically based on loaded file name
- Start with less buffers, ability to add more buffers as needed
- Command to Reset all buffers
- Default Buffers config - after a reset or new project, layout buffers according to user prefs (i.e. list of named buffers)
Thank you for your consideration and most of all for your great work!