Making a Sound Installation in Montana

Hello! My name is Lauren, and I’ve been a lurker for about a month now. I am wrapping up an artist residency in the maker space of my local public library in Missoula, where I have been creating an interactive generative music sound installation. I knew I wanted to use microcomputers and sound generation, and Sonic Pi just seemed to fit perfectly. I’m not a coder, but I learned HTML 20 years ago, so I can follow along.

I have been using the Ultrasonic Theremin concept, with many additions borrowed from this forum, to attach sensors to Raspberry Pi Zeros. The sensors will read movements of people in the space, and send their data to a Pi 4 via OSC. The Pi 4 implements the data through Sonic Pi to make music (or at least sound).

It’s not finished by any means. I’ve only just got three computers sending OSC out (planning for 5 or 6). I need to work a lot on the sounds/voices generated. And I still need a physical space for installation, which really should happen after the pandemic goes away.

This forum has been immensely helpful, and I know I’ve only scratched the surface. But thanks for the software and community and ideas and troubleshooting and explanations, etc. Just this morning I found the code to make my BPM tied to a sensor/OSC. Y’all are great!

2 Likes

Hi Lauren, and welcome to in-thread. Great to read about your project, and your use of theremins and osc: both topics I have also used extensively. I look forward to hearing more about your project as it goes on, and about the code you are using. Great to use pizeros with sensors to send data via OSC to Sonic Pi on your Pi4.

Best wishes for your ongoing progress.

1 Like

Welcome Lauren!
That sounds fascinating. I’m glad the forum has been helpful - there’s always plenty of interesting tips and ideas floating around! (and yes, like he says, Robin is well acquainted with OSC and theremins in Sonic Pi projects :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:)

Do feel free to ask questions as you continue to work on the installation - and I’m sure we’d love to have a progress report or two as things move along if you’re ok with that :grinning:

1 Like