LunchBoxLazers: The Origin Story

Just discovered Sonic-Pi a week ago and received my Raspberry 400 yesterday. I was playing around with Sonic-Pi on my Windows machine while I waited. I made some cool beats using arrays and some melodies using random selector. All my coding knowledge is pretty much front end, HTML/CSS/JavaScript, with some C++/PHP here and there (not much at all). I do have a basic understanding of concepts such as arrays, loops, variables, etc. I would say I’m intermediate at best when it comes to music. I’ve played instruments off and on all my life, played bass for a couple of bands. Most recently I’ve been interested in lead guitar and synthesizers. Really into SynthWave and all sub-genres. Really looking forward to getting better at creating some rhythms and beats with Sonic-Pi to solo guitar over and hopefully make some interesting tracks. I also plan on creating a CyberDeck for a Pi to run SPi through for fun and possibly live shows.

Right now I’m running on a Pi 400 with Raspberry Pi OS 64-bit
I believe the version of SPi that is on there is 3.2.2(?) Can’t seem to get the latest. Not sure if it’s possible. I’ll comb the forum though to see how I can keep my version up to date.

Cheers!

3 Likes

Hey @LunchBoxLazers, welcome!
The CyberDeck idea sounds like fun - IIRC there are a bunch of other folks around here that have done the same thing :slight_smile:

Re getting more recent versions of Sonic Pi onto the 64 bit OS, there is no more recent packaged version available currently. It would be a matter of compiling it yourself - something that is definitely possible, as we on core team have managed to do so. If you’re up for it, go ahead - the process is actually fairly straight forward, and I’m sure there are folks willing to provide assistance if needed. You could either build from the latest bleeding edge code, or use Git to checkout the most recent stable version, v3.3.1.
Instructions are here:

It may require installing a more recent version of cmake, but should hopefully otherwise work.

1 Like

Thanks for the response! I’ll look into the Git and try to update to the stable version of 3.3.1 this weekend. As long as it matches the version I have on Windows I’ll be happy. Just for the sake consistency and developing a steady workflow. Looking forward to being a member of the community here and sharing my progress!

Cheers!

2 Likes

For the record 3.3.1 builds ok on the 64bit OS. I ran it up a couple of days ago.

2 Likes

I did indeed need to install an updated version of cmake but I managed to get the stable 3.3.1 version of Sonic-Pi on my RPi 400! Thanks again for the welcome and pointing me in the right direction!

1 Like