Looking for recos for an electronica newbie

I’m a noob when it comes to electronica. I teach Sonic Pi in middle school and this summer decided I needed to learn more about electronic music (I’m a very old-school blues guy). So I dove down the rabbit hole and haven’t come up since!

So I’m looking for recommendations. Here’s what I’ve found that I really love so far, just for a reference point: Boards of Canada, Tycho, and Aphex Twin. I don’t know what that says about my taste, but I’d love more similar stuff. And while I think I’m leaning ambient, I also realize that I teach middle schoolers. So I need a healthy dose of danceable stuff.

I’m finding the more I listen to, the more I get ideas for song and music creation: beats, sounds, etc.

Ideas? Thanks in advance!
Bob Irving
Porter-Gaud School
Charleston, SC
@birv2

Here are some of my recommendations:
Kraftwerk
Jean-Michel Jarre
The Human League
New Order

Especially Kraftwerk always amazes me. I think they still sound futuristic, even after 40years.

1 Like

Thanks! Listening to Autobahn right now. You’re right – they still sound futuristic!

Hi @birv2,

some things to listen to (on Youtube) in no style or genre order (all somehow associated with Electronica):

• Ametsub
  • Animal Collective
  • Aparat
  • Autechre
  • Arovane
  • Bluetech
  • B12
  • Basic Channel
  • Biosphere
  • Black Dog Productions
  • Bowery Electric
  • Burger & Ink
  • Can
  • Chris Smith
  • Deepchord
  • Derrick May (and other belonging to Detroit Techno)
  • DJ Rum
  • DJ Shadow
  • Donato Dozzy
  • Four Tet
  • Francesco Tristano
  • Gas (Wolfgang Voigt)
  • Goldfrapp
  • Higher Intelligence Agency
  • Ilpo Väisänen
  • Jan Jelinek
  • Jon Hassell
  • Jörg Burger (The Modernist)
  • Ken Ishii
  • Loscil
  • LTJ Bukem
  • Luke Vilbert
  • Mika Vainio
  • Moby
  • Mouse on Mars
  • Monolake
  • Pete Namlook
  • Photek
  • Plaid
  • Seefeel
  • Senking
  • The Irresisbable Force
  • The Marcia Blaine School for Girls
  • The Orb
  • Vermont

This is more or less a random collection. Maybe you’ll get a copy of: All Music Guide to Electronica (editor: Vladimir Bogdanov) (not really fresh but a lot leads to follow). If you are oldschool and like to read about. Otherwise Youtube’s recommendations get you from here to Nirvana.

Have fun in the rabbit whole!

2 Likes

Well, that should be enough for the next decade or so! Thanks!

Before I forget:

1 Like