Change paren-match background color in dark theme

In the Dark and Pro Dark themes, I haven’t been able to get used to distinguishing the exact location of the cursor when paren matching is indicated, so I want to request changing the background color of matched parens from white to to either black or gray. The problem is that it’s too hard to distinguish the exact position of the pink cursor against the paren’s white background when it’s in between that and the black background next to it. It’s a small thing, but it’s aggravating enough so that I now routinely move the cursor away from its location so that I can manually nudge it back to be sure of where it is. When I don’t do that, I make the mistake of deleting the wrong thing or adding new stuff one space to the side of where it should go, leading to runtime errors. It’s pretty obtrusive, actually.

@blipson - in v3.3.0, we updated Sonic Pi’s colour theming ability, so you can now easily change things like this at will. (It requires a restart of Sonic Pi to take effect of course). There is a config file that you can edit, which allows you to set the colours of many elements in the Sonic Pi editor.

See the following for details of this config file: it lives in ~/.sonic-pi/config/colour-theme.properties.

1 Like

Actually it doesn’t. I made sure that changes can be easily reflected in the app without a restart. All you need to do is to switch the colour theme and the new colour theme properties will be automatically picked up and honoured :slight_smile:

@blipson Just a heads up - be warned that this colour-theme properties file is there for experimentation but it shouldn’t yet be considered fully stable. It’s possible (and likely) that the property names may change or disappear between versions.

2 Likes

I stand corrected! good to know :slight_smile:

1 Like

4.0.3 isn’t updating the theme when the them file’s saved, requiring a restart to see the changes. Any chance of automatically picking up the change again?

It seems to work for me on Windows. You have to save the file and switch colour themes in the GUI. The GUI isn’t watching the filesystem for changes in file timestamp times and updating automatically. You have to force it to reread the file by switching theme.

1 Like