Sonic Pi Portable file location

Hello, I am using the Portable version with my class as we are not allowed to install software in the computer lab. However, even with the portable version, when we first run it, it is trying to put files on our U:\ drive, which is failing because of permission problems.

I’m assuming because it’s doing this because it’s using one of the environment variables.

Is there any way to not have it do that?

Or can someone tell me what environment variable it is so I can create a batch file to change it manually before running the software?

Hello @rpsjab, welcome!
The environment variable SONIC_PI_HOME is the one you want to set - It will be used over the default as the root location of the user’s .sonic-pi directory - ie an alternate ‘home’ path for storing Sonic Pi’s config folder.
Have a go with that, and do let us know if you have any further questions :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thank you for the quick reply! I was able to create a workaround by setting that variable.

Just out of curiosity, why doesn’t SP use %LOCALAPPDATA% instead? Isn’t that the recommended location for app-files?

Just a guess: Maybe because it wants/needs to be platform ignorant?