Sonic Pi and Processing

Hi all :slight_smile: I see there are some answers to how to link up Sonic PI and Processing.
I am really really new to Processing and I love the idea of generating visuals as I play music on Sonic Pi …
Would like to request if anyone is okay to do a quick tutorial call to guide me through this … would appreciate :slight_smile:

Thank you :slight_smile:

I don’t have much experience in sonic pi or processing for that matter. But it is my understanding that both sonic pi and processing support OSC. I once saw a video using sonic pi and processing together using OSC, I’m not sure if that’s the only path but it seems that’s one path you can take.

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: Might you have a link to that video ?

Hi @Monrhea,

welcome to our community, it’s lovely to have you here.

As @alexesc mentions, it’s definitely possible to connect both Processing and Sonic Pi and the most obvious route is to send OSC messages between them.

I’m not an expert in Processing itself (although I have used the underlying technology so have some understanding of what it can do - just not any experience with its syntax). However, there might be some people on here that do have knowledge and could help out.

However, I think your question may be a bit too broad - it’s hard to know how to offer advice without knowing what your aims are in a bit more detail than connecting two bits of software together. Do you have any idea what you’re trying to do? What would be the simple first step towards your aims? Trying to break things into little, clearly communicable aims would definitely help us help you here.

As a first step I’d definitely take a look at the OSC tutorial sections for Sonic Pi here: https://sonic-pi.net/tutorial#section-12

That might help you think about whether you’d like information from Sonic Pi to be sent to Processing or whether you’d like information from Processing to be sent to Sonic Pi or both!

A quick google for OSC and Processing brought up this page which suggests using the OSCP5 library which is probably where I’d start on the Processing side.

Still, it would probably help a lot if you can let us know what you have in mind - both in terms of broad ambition and in terms of a simple first step.

Good luck!

1 Like

I did 3 songs using Processing for visuals and Sonic-Pi for music.
https://github.com/matheynen/sonicP5Works
Feel free to use !

2 Likes

Thank you Sam :slight_smile:
Lovely supportive community here :slight_smile:

My aim is to send information from Sonic Pi to Processing to create tracks with visuals at once or sets.
I am thankful for scouting for the links you have sent and I am looking into them.

Thank you @matheynen . I’ve watched your videos and glad to see the connection between the two softwares in work. Your documentation will definitely help guide me :slight_smile:

@alexesc Thank you as well for trying to help :slight_smile:

1 Like