Midi Loops from files

Just wanted to check to see about playing midi loops. Is there anything native in Sonic Pi to do this? I wrote a bunch of Ruby code and injected it into Sonic Pi to do something called midiloops during the summer of 2016, but, I would like to use something that was more native to Sonic Pi. Any possibilities of using a midi file as a stream using midi in? When using looping in Cakewalk I often use the midi loops instead of the audio loops because they are more flexible. Thanks!

Hi @GranddadGotMojo,

Sonic Pi doesn’t include any functionality to work with MIDI files - only MIDI events (in and out).

Whilst I personally don’t have any current plans to include support for reading/writing MIDI files, I totally thing it should be something that’s provided and maintained by an external person (perhaps yourself).

What I’d therefore love to know is what kinds of extensions/end-points/modifications I’d need to make to Sonic Pi for someone like yourself to be able to build, maintain, ship and support such an extension :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Today, I was experimenting with Python and MIDO to stream Midi Message into Sonic Pi, surprisingly works and easy enough for my little programming experience.

https://mido.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

YouTube:

Kind of wish Sonic Pi can handle MIDI files, but then again this Midi Message IO is pretty cool. Good fun!

1 Like