Live-coding real time collaboration

Hello to all,

With a student we are trying to setup a workflow to perform live-coding sessions where:

1. We can collaborate remotely on the same buffer, kind of a ping-pong coding.
  2. We can sync two computers running SonicPi individually and remotely.

We tried using Atom/teletype as editor and sending the code to SonicPi, with not much success. We used the https://atom.io/packages/sb-atom-sonic-pi plugin. So far we haven’t been able to make it work, SonicPi gets the osc messages but it appears it does not run the code.

I am not sure what we are missing to make it work. I would appreciate any guide on what could be wrong.

Thanks,

Fernando

1 Like

Hi Fernando.

I know in a general sense what is not working: there have been changes in Sonic Pi since the latest version of the Atom package was released. This means that currently, it will not be able to successfully send OSC messages to the server.

It looks like @SunderB has made some more recent edits to the plugin code to accommodate these changes, but these have not yet been packaged up into a (pre)release:

hi @rinconf

Maybe give a try to the vscode extension made by @luislloret

Hey @rinconf :slight_smile:
I’m sorry that I’ve not published a new release in a while. I’m a full-time student and do coding as a hobby; I work on things when I have time and motivation, so unfortunately it’s not guaranteed to be regularly maintained!

The issue was likely to do with the default port numbers for the server and GUI. which changed a couple versions ago.
I’ve just published a new release v1.0.0-beta.3 which includes changes to make it work with newer versions of Sonic Pi. On my Debian laptop it seems to work with Sonic Pi v3.3 :smiley:
It also includes some improvements and updates to synth, fx and sample name autocompletion (it doesn’t yet include the new synths in v3.3 though); and some limited grammar and snippets support for some Sonic Pi functions (you need to switch the language of the buffer to Sonic Pi for that).

I hope this is useful :slight_smile:
Sunder

3 Likes