Hey guys! i just wanted some feed back ;P

well i decided to just use samples xD

Melodie and Bass von M. E. (soundcloud.com)

I was all geared up to give my comments on your composition :joy:
You’re sure you’re happy to remove this? :man_shrugging:

well i found a way to compose my melodies and bass lines with samples, i cut them up into individual bits and use it like that. it sounded so much better that i discarded play function for now xD

but i am still open to ur feedback :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

(I’ve taken the liberty of bringing back the original title of this topic, because I think it’s still worth it :wink: - even if @holz has decided on a different approach for now :slightly_smiling_face: )

So, for the benefit of others who may like to also give feedback:
here was the original code you were interested in having feedback on:

eins = (ring :cs3, :cs3,:e3,:fs3)
zwei = (ring :cs4, :e4,:fs4, :fs4,:fs4, :gs4,  :a4, :cs4)
live_loop :met do
  sleep 1
end

use_synth :mod_fm
live_loop :möp, sync: :met do
  use_bpm 90

use_random_seed 23123

# use_synth :mod_tri
  3.times do
    6.times do

# with_swing 0.100, pulse: 8 do

use_synth :supersaw
      use_synth_defaults res: 0.25
      play eins.choose, attack: 0.1 , release: 0.1, sustain: 0.1 if spread(8, 9).tick(:as)

# end

sleep (ring 0.25, 0.25, 0.5, 0.25, 0.25, 0.5, 0.5).tick(:aass)

end
  end

4.times do

use_synth :supersaw
    use_synth_defaults res: 0.25
    play zwei.choose, amp: 0.74, attack: 0.1 , release: 0.1, sustain: 0.1 if spread(8, 9).tick(:asass)

sleep (ring 0.25, 0.25, 0.25, 0.5, 0.25, 0.25).tick(:aasgfss)
  end

end

eins1 = (ring :cs2, :cs2,:e2,:fs2)
zwei2 = (ring :cs3, :e3,:fs3, :fs3,:fs3, :gs3,  :a3, :cs3)

use_synth :mod_fm
live_loop :möp1  do
  sync :met
  use_bpm 90

use_random_seed 2211232333123

# use_synth :mod_tri
  20.times do
    3.times do

# with_swing 0.100, pulse: 8 do

use_synth :chipbass
      use_synth_defaults res: 0.99
      play eins1.choose, attack: 0.1 , amp: 1.5, release: 0.1, sustain: 0.1 if spread(8, 9).tick(:as)

# end

sleep (ring 0.125, 0.125, 0.5, 0.125, 0.125, 0.5).tick(:aass)

end
  end

4.times do

use_synth :chipbass
    use_synth_defaults res: 0.99
    play zwei2.choose, amp: 0.74, attack: 0.1 , amp: 1.5, release: 0.1, sustain: 0.1 if spread(8, 9).tick(:asass)

sleep (ring 0.125, 0.125, 0.5, 0.125, 0.125, 0.5).tick(:aasgfss)
  end

end

And your original question:

do u think this has enough potential to be played in front of people? i mean imagine a drum etc ^^
oh and i mean just the melodie and rythm not the actual sound xD

My comments:
Firstly - music appreciation is by nature a very subjective beast - so no doubt it depends much on the kind of people you might be performing it for :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Secondly, therefore, any comments or constructive criticism are also subjective :wink:

Back to the point though:
Do I think this has enough potential to be played in front of people? sure :slight_smile:
Do I think the melody and rhythm are fine, even if the actual timbre/sound/instruments are not final? sure :slight_smile:

(You mention that you found a way to compose this with samples - great! that’s just as valid as a pure synthesis approach :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Would love to check out a soundcloud recording if you feel comfortable sharing :slight_smile: )

And to continue with my (probably still vague) feedback :wink: - regarding potential for live performance of this piece, it all depends on the final form you may have in mind, and how that might fit with the potential target audience/venue! Would the above code would be one section/just the basis of a larger piece? If your plan would be to extend this beyond the melody and rhythm included here, there are obviously a multitude of ways to do it. There are really no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ ways when it comes to composing. If something sounds good to you, that’s the first step! If you can work out that enough people might enjoy listening to it in a live performance, even better! (Even if you’re having trouble figuring that out, it doesn’t necessarily mean they don’t exist - the world is a big place, it might just mean you haven’t found them yet :slightly_smiling_face:)

Apologies if my ramblings don’t help you very much :joy: was there anything more specific you might have been after? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for ur opinion, feedback is always good, .
really enjoy the potential of it, but as i tried the sample solution i fell in love with it, here is a short snipped i recorded.

Melodie and Bass von M. E. (soundcloud.com)

i am changing the bass live and changing the random seed of the melodie

1 Like

@holz both of these sound good to me. Echoing @Eli’s point, these are elements, and it’s about how they fit into a bigger performance.

If it’s any broader question like, “Am I ready to perform this?” my advice is sooner rather than later. There’s a load of stuff about performing which isn’t about the focus on the composition and the tech, which you only work out by doing it. Not saying don’t prepare. Do prepare, just don’t try to wait for ‘everything perfect’ before heading out.

And sorry if I read too much into the question :smile:

1 Like

Ehehehe. I don’t see @eli commenting anywhere here @soxsa :wink: (I would love to see if he has any feedback too though - he’s always interested in music appreciation and sharing here just as much as all the technical discussions that go on :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: )

1 Like

Thnaks for ur kind words, they are like a warm shower :smiley:
i am confident to perform with the sample solution (itÂŽs just an example how i would go about those elements of a track), i just need to get some practice in and add drums and drones ect.
i am planing to busk on the street

2 Likes

Whoops - how to gain friends and influence people, sorry. I did know it was you

Excellent. I like that as you can call the shots. There are other places to start, some can be a baptism of fire

All good, I was just being cheeky :wink:

@holz - I agree with Soxsa, they’re both good! and busking, good on you. I’ve thought on and off about having a go myself at some point - it’s been easier to take part in things like a local monthly experimental music meeting though :joy:

Ahhh
 but how do you know for sure @eli didn’t post, eh?

Maybe @ethan_being_cheeky is just @eli in disguise, eh?

Or maybe not! :slight_smile:

Regards,

Are_you_sure_I’m_really_Eli? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

As the saying goes: On the internet nobody knows you’re a dog :wink: .

3 Likes

Aaagh my poor head. It’s hard enough to try to work out how to network these synths - let alone this!