Help with undefined method 'call' for nil error

Runtime Error: [buffer 9, line 40] - Thread death ±-> :live_loop_arpeggi
undefined method `call’ for nil (NoMethodError)

blk.call if truthy?(condition)
       ^^^^^

receiving this error when running code (linked below) in the loop buffer. it was working before but now seems to return this error regarding the live_loop: arpeggi

(the loop in question - line 40 is line beginning with voice =)

live_loop :arpeggi, sync: :drums do
melody = arpeggi_patterns.tick(:one)
beat_count.times do
voice = melody.tick(:two); key.each {|notes| on voice[tick(:three)%key.size] {visualize(notes, :chipbass)}}
binary_conv(voice, key.size)
sleep 0.5
end
end

original code for weird fishes loops and data can be found at: GitHub - mkstp/covers at 12e566d24e0844d226ac3f58f8cc22a57801e464

there is a corresponding youtube video which I have also been studying to try and figure out what I am doing differently…

any advice greatly appreciated! thank you

Spent some time playing with this tonight, and eventually got it going.
It seems that on didn’t like the condition voice[tick(:three)%key.size]
Eventually I found that it worked if you enclosed it in brackets, giving the line

voice = melody.tick(:two); key.each {|notes| on (voice[tick(:three)%key.size]) {visualize(notes, :chipbass)}}

That got things going. A very cool project.

I guess the reason may be that the Ruby version in SP has probably altered since you wrote this about 6 years ago, and that may be what is causing it to hiccup. Of course using so much fairly esoteric Ruby in your code, can always be a bit dangerous, as Sonic Pi does not always play ball with it.

1 Like

awesome! you are a superstar! cant wait to play around with this again tonight :))) thanks sm

On your hidden message, I think the bpm setting was commented out on github, If you reinstate it it sounds pretty like the original. Some synths (can;t remember if :chipbass was one or not )did get a bit louder and distorted at one Sonic Pi upgrade (again can’t remember which), but if this is the case you can wrap a with_fx :level,amp: 0.5 do......end around the arpeggi live loop which will sort this.

Hope your demo goes well.