Creating a live performance computer using Python 3 controlling Sonic Pi via OSC

I am attempting to re-task an old Acer chromebook running Linux Mint to use a custom built keyboard and Python 3 to control Sonic-Pi. It would be a chords only setup like an electronic Autoharp. I have a basic framework I’ve made in Python 3 with a Tkinter GUI to control Synthesizer, Fx, and Envelope but so far have only succeeded in playing simple notes. I need more info on the keywords and syntax supported in OSC. Several hours of googling has not revealed any advanced information or tutorials. Has anyone out there built such a device? Or know of some advanced information on the OSC protocol? Once I have it done, I would be happy to share the hardware designs and source code.

Santa Matt

Well I figured it out. I used the million monkeys typing on a million typewriters method. I kept trying things till something worked. Anyway, the software part is done. Through my Python app I can set synth, fx, pitch, attack, duration and decay. I can set specific keys to play specific chords. Now for the controller hardware. I’ll probably go with something that resembles a concertina without bellows.

Santa Matt

1 Like