Latency from hardware synths

Hello everyone

I’m experiencing latency when I use my hardware synth. I’m sending MIDI to the synth, and getting audio back using live_audio. It turns out there is 55 ms of latency. How much latency do you people experience in the same situations?

I’m using the Roland SE-02’s built-in audio interface.

Hi @chris.krakou,

I had a Waldorf Blofeld in use and now a Makenoise 0-Coast. I haven’t measured but I guess latency is not really noticable.

• Might be interesting to know, what OS you are using.
  • Do you also notice this latency while using a softsynth?
1 Like

Hi Martin

I haven’t worked with software synths, so I wouldn’t know. I can look into it.

I’m running sonic pi 3.1 on windows 10.

You can try e. g. Helm.

Unfortunately I don’t have any experiences with Windows; could be a driver issue. I guess you have already searched for Windows Latency. If not, there might be something worthwhile to try.

Hi @chris.krakou,

unfortunately the default audio latency on Windows is usually pretty bad. You typically need to use specific drivers for your audio card especially ASIO drivers if they exist. Do you know if your card has ASIO drivers? If not, you could try ASIO4ALL.

Unfortunately using ASIO4ALL in Sonic Pi is pretty involved at this point (you have to edit the source code). I aim to make this simpler in a future version. If you’re open to editing the source code, let me know and I’ll give you further instructions :slight_smile:

1 Like