Using TouchOSC with Sonic Pi

Well, actually I was also a bit confused because I did obviously receive osc messages which I could detect from running oscdump. But they did not seem to get through to Sonic Pi. (The osc area in the preferences also did not show any device.) Once the bridge was installed I received them via

sync /osc/...

(Now the midi area in the preferences shows the running bridge.)

It is probably my poor understanding of the underlying processes… I will have some time next week to check again. Thanks for making me aware of that. If there is an even more easier way, it would be great.

(I am so thrilled, that I can just switch on the Smartphone and communicate with Sonic Pi :wink: )

Update: You are right!

I just checked… I don’t need this osc2midi stuff!! Great. Thanks again.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the problem was that you hadn’t enabled external osc connections in the preferences. By default, Sonic Pi will only listen to messages from local host unless you specifically allow incoming messages from other machines. This stops the windows firewall from complaining in addition to stopping random users affecting your machine with rogue osc messages :slight_smile:

Well, I think I did check that. (I did not change anything when I checked a few moments ago.) Probably I did something else wrong in the first place (could have been just a wrong sync path). Anyhow: Glad it works. Thanks again!

1 Like

excuse me, i still have a question. the pc i use is asus and mobile is oppo. i had followed your tutorial step by step. but the sonic pi cannot catch the signal(osc) from touchosc. however, it can catch the midi signal from touchosc. my sonic pi can’t make out sound successfully. i need help~~~~

after i adjust the code in “sync”, it successfully works. but thanks again. :))

Sounds like you have got there Kenny. As you say you need to adjust the code in the sync lines changing all
sync “/osc/…
to
sync”/osc*/…

Also change TouchOSC to send to port 4560 not port 4559 then things should work.

1 Like

Adding to TouchOSC setup info for raw beginners:

TouchOSC 101 - Back to Basics! (Ultimate Guide to TouchOSC) - YouTube This is quite recent and about the latest version, found it v clear for newbies, esp explaining the connections, client/server stuff.