Sonic Pi Monthly Challenge #2

I might loose out on this one :frowning:

I was planning in taking the instructions more like a suggestion. My idea was to make an “acoustic” cover of smashing pumpkins’ 1979 with my brother. He loves the song and plays it all the time on his acoustic guitar and a few days ago I figured out the drumming pattern and wrote a script on sonic pi to trigger my old Roland JV 1010.

I was inspired by this version of radiohead’s present tense where they play one of their more bossa nova-ish songs with two guitars and a drum machine. Because the song’s groove is very static it works great with a drum machine or loop instead of real drums. I heard a while ago that smashing pumpkins actually use sampled programmed drums all the way on the original recoding of 1979 so I think it makes a perfect fit to cover with a more robotic percussion.

I told my brother about doing a cover and he is down with the idea but a sting of his guitar just broke the day I told him about covering 1979 :frowning:

Amway’s here’s the code for the drums of 1975 without MIDI and just using some samples from sonic pi. I we get new strings for his guitar maybe we’ll get arround to recording a full cover, but I reckon it may happen after the deadline for the monthly challenge.

##| 1979

use_bpm 127

define :pattern do |pattern|
  return pattern.ring.tick == "x"
end

live_loop :kicks do
  sample :drum_heavy_kick, lpf: 90 if pattern "x-------x-x---x---x-----x-x-----"
  sleep 0.25
end

live_loop :snares do
  sample :drum_snare_hard, lpf: 85 if pattern "----x-------x-------x-------x---"
  sleep 0.25
end

live_loop :hihat do
  sample :drum_cymbal_soft, lpf: 90 if pattern "x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-"
  sleep 0.25
end
3 Likes