'Scratching' of samples in Sonic Pi

I’m just reminding myself how SuperCollider works.

Having just revised the ‘BufRd’ UGen, may I suggest that a future Sonic Pi should have a ‘sample scratch’ function able to take a sample and produce scratch noises from it. With high level arguments to allow flexibility.

If Sonic Pi is intended to introduce people to programming in a fun way, then I think this might help :smiley:

3 Likes

Couldn’t agree more! Would love to see a whole suite of synths like this make their way into Sonic Pi :slight_smile:

1 Like

If I’m not being too forward, I am hoping that I will be able to contribute a few synths to a future version.

2 Likes

Not forward at all :grin: I’ve made it a pet project of mine to do the same, and that was even before I became part of the core team :slight_smile: The more the merrier.

2 Likes

(The trouble with some of mine though is that they require a fair amount of changes/updates/additions to the Sonic Pi server code… so it’s been a bit slow going :joy:)

1 Like

I wondered about being able to play soundfonts. That would most likely be mostly done in the Sonic Pi server itself, supported by a specially written Syndef. I believe. But, from what I understand of Sonic Pi and Sam’s ethos, I think it could work.

load_soundfonts “/User/pieater/soundfonts”
use_soundfont “Orchestral”, voice: “Violin”

play 60, sustain: 4

1 Like

It’s been thought about already for sure. The only problem is that it is not a simple piece of work - Supercollider itself does not directly support soundfonts!
There are various posts floating around on the internet regarding bringing soundfonts to SC, starting from quite a ways back. Here’s the top two results for “Supercollider soundfonts”:

https://sc-users.bham.ac.narkive.com/AbDMqkZY/accessing-soundfont-data-in-sc

1 Like

I was thinking about sound fonts, and I wondered if it would be best to do it in the Sonic Pi server, with the only extra supercollider bit being a new sample playing synthdef with suitable looping etc. capability to play a sample from a font.

Just thinking about this. I may have suspiciously taught myself to program in Ruby a bit, but only by doing a quick online course. I’ll see. I don’t want to sign onto anything that I then can’t deliver, and think up-skilling myself on Supercollider will be the best way that I can contribute. In the long run.

1 Like