Sample Grid Application

Hi,

I just created a new repository on Github with version 0.9 (absolutely Beta!) of my TouchOSC Sample Grid application. The documentation is very sparse but I think it is enough to get you going if you are interested to try it out.

It is inspired by Monome applications such as mlr or mlrv2 but works quite differently (and is certainly less sophisticated in its current version). Of course I am open for ideas or tips how to code this in a better way.

Here are the two interface screens:

grid

sample-options

2 Likes

The first thing that strikes me is that the text on your buttons on the “sample” screen is tiny. You’ve got room to spare, so I would definitely make it larger. Do you have an example program that also plays some samples? The stuff on your github looks like pure setup, and a full example that I could run and play with would give me a better context to understand it.

Hi @chris.krakou,

thanks for the input. I tend to minimal interfaces; actually I tend to no labels at all :wink: . Nevertheless on a tablet its readable with no problem. You can download the TouchOSC layout and increase text size if you want to use this for yourself.

I am not sure what you mean by example program? The script will deal with samples on your harddrive: Just download the TouchOSC layout (see some notes on how to install the layout on your smartphone or tablet here) and the script. Then fill in IP, Port and a path to a directory with at least 8 samples in it (unless you want to have double samples on the grid rows), start the script and you are ready to go.

Hope that helps for a start.

That’ll teach me to read the documentation :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll have a look at it later, I think. Java’s acting up, so I can’t push the OSC layout to my phone.

1 Like

This looks amazing. Can’t wait to try it out!

found this too, looks interesting. I wonder if any is portable to an actual grids

Definitely. Although lmq goes much further functionwise which IMHO makes it a better canditate to start with.

so do I simply run that code inside sonic-pi?

Well you won’t be able to use your monome with this version. Sorry if I gave you this impression. I was refering to your question “is that portable”, and yes, it is.

But you can try it out with the TouchOSC controller app on your smartphone or on a tablet (see some information on how to install the layout here), load the code into SP, follow the setup steps and you are ready to go.

i found code that runs a supercollider version of mlr with monome

also maps the arcs so, voila.

From this you really get everything you need to start.
sequencing, speed adjustments and then recording on the fly
then i can tier whatever i want onto that